Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Day 9: It's all about soup.

Another self-supported day, and I fared a bit better this time. I took a day off working out though - to try and get a decent night's sleep - and so my calorie needs were reduced. I'm going to have to make up for that tomorrow night... so I have to budget my food accordingly. I was checking out the regular bodybuilding site (www.bodybuilding.com) this time, and came upon this transformation. Geez, I can't be cheap OR vegan if I want to build that kind of muscle!

I also spent some time surfing around to find some cheap eats... looks like soup is the way to go. In fact, I found out that I overpriced my vegetable-barley soup for the last couple of days, so I had a "free" cup tonight. For the record: one dry cup of barley (200g) has 700 calories and 40g of protein for $0.22; one dry cup of green lentils (200g) has 700 calories and 52g of protein for $0.33; 1 dry cup of long-grain brown rice (200g) has 725 calories and 30g of protein for somewhere between $0.22 and $0.33, apparently depending on whether you buy it "on sale".

I love barley; creamy, smooth and comforting. I threw some in my next batch of splitpea soup (on the stove tonight, gotta wait til tomorrow to see if it turns out!).

Hope there's no typos, I'm wearing gloves at the keyboard ... sigh.

Breakfast: 3 cups vegetable-barley soup, 1/4 loaf crusty bread with margarine, 2 coffees with milk $1.56
Lunch: 4 cups vegetable-barley soup, tea $0.85
Dinner: 3 cups vegetable-barley soup, 1/4 loaf crusty bread with margarine $0.97
Snack: 200g cereal & 2 cups cocoa $1.39
Other: Multivitamin & Glucosamine* $0.13

Day 9 Total: $4.89
*For those who might wonder what Glucosamine (sulphate) is and why I spend 2.5 cents on it per dose, I take it as "joint support" in the days following a long run, until my achiness wears off. It's supposed to stimulate cartilage regeneration, but there are many conflicting studies. It doesn't hurt me and it's cheap, so what the heck.

No comments: