Saturday, January 6, 2007

Day 6: Loblaws 99-cent sale

I hit a milestone today: I got genuinely excited by the Loblaws 99-cent sale. I carted home a backpack full of food for under $10, and I was so thrilled that I have posted the proof of my spoils below.

Just to clarify, the cereal is about 350g worth (not a full-size box), the milk is 1L, and the Hunt's tomato sauce was purchased in a moment of weakness... it boasts 8g of sugar per 1/2 cup serving. For some reason, I thought it would be better than no-name because I saw "healthy choice" labels on it with low-fat claims and vegetable content. I looked at the ingredients when I got home and it was depressing: tomato puree, sugar, soybean oil, salt, corn syrup, carrot powder, dehydrated garlic, olive oil, dehydrated green chiles, garlic flavour, spices, crushed red pepper, citric acid, sesame. First of all, the sugar content bothered me; second of all, what the hell is carrot powder!? I also fail to see why corn syrup and soybean oil is necessary. All the vegetables are processed and/or reconstituted, and for the first time I can really see why making everything yourself is a good idea. It's cheaper and much more nutritious. It's just crazy what are we eating nowadays (yup, this from the girl who ate Doritos yesterday - and loved 'em).

I enjoyed a great lunch during my volunteer shift today; hearty beef stew and rice. (I have to say, the homeless can eat well in Ottawa if they know where to go). Also relished my first cup of Tim Hortons coffee since the experiment started - thanks to Paul's gift certificates - and the awesome care package from Alex, which included not only chocolate but a colourful issue of "Road" magazine!

Breakfast: 2 bowls split pea soup with ham, 1 cup milk $0.64
Lunch: Beef stew and rice (free! thx to Chris & gang) $0.00
Dinner: 2 cups vegan chili, 3 slices bread with margarine, 1 cup yogurt $2.88
Snack: Timmy's coffee (free! thx Paul), chocolates (free! thx Alex), tea with milk $0.18
Other: Multivitamin and Ca/D $0.13

Day 6 Total: $3.83

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.