Sunday, January 7, 2007

Day 7: Why the homeless don't run marathons.

I ran an 18k pick-up this afternoon and "ran" right into a problem; while running suppresses the appetite, about 2 hours later your body is clamouring for those calories to be replaced and the recovery process to start. Yet, I really can't afford another 1600 or so calories per day on my diet... unless I eat less nutritious foods or... do a lot of research. Since I have lots of beans, rice and grains, I began to surf the 'net for some suitable low-cost recipes and came across this one for Vegetable Barley Soup.

Well I modified it by adding dry lentils, more barley, more water, more veggies, and different spices (cumin, cardamom, red pepper and garam masala in addition to the curry). The amazing thing? A HUGE (estimated 20 cups) pot of this soup cost me $4.06, and it contains beans and grains for complete protein, pretty much all the vitamins I'd need, and tastes great too! Curry and tomato is a great combination (but I'm biased, I like everything hot).

I was also surfing around and came across some sites about vegan bodybuilding (i.e. www.veganbodybuilding.com). Now of course the first thing that popped into my head was, "hm, are steroids vegan?" However, there is also a more intelligent little piece with HLNYC doing an interview with America's first vegan bodybuilder. I can see why vegetarian/ vegan eating is generally healthier, and certainly more environmentally responsible, so I think it's something I should check out. I don't think I'll cut animal products completely out, as there is a lot of good nutrition in that too... despite what the vegan camp says. But a few more meatless meals are probably a good idea (and right now, all I can afford). Stay tuned.

Brunch: 1 bowl creamy pasta* & tuna with green pepper, 2 cups Vector cereal & marshmallows $2.26
Dinner: Turkey sandwich with mustard, 2 cups decaf coffee & 2 cups milk $1.62
Snack: 1 slice bread with Nutella, 2 cups homemade vegetable-barley soup, 1 cup chocolate milk $0.96
Other: Multivitamin, Glucosamine $0.13

Day 7 Total: $4.96
*It's "creamy" pasta because I added undiluted cream-of-mushroom soup to make it more like White Trash Casserole (er... Kraft Dinner)

No comments: