Friday, January 12, 2007

Day 12: The Calorie as an unbiased predictor of satiety.

Today I finally began to experience a kind of subordination of taste to satiety; in other words, taste is becoming much less important to me than it was before. It is not that I experience the flavours to a lesser extent, but rather that "flavour" is not itself an important element in the eat-to-live reality. As long as the calorie is reasonably nutritious and (of course) inexpensive, it is equal to any other calorie contained in any other food - and I prefer not one over the other.

Today - all day - I ate split pea soup. For dinner I had 2 cups of milk and 240g dry cereal (most of a Life Multigrain trial pack), and later a hot chocolate with marshmallows. I felt pretty much indifferent to eating anything else, and just wanted to avoid wasting the perishables. Actually, the act of eating is losing its lustre now; it's more just a chore.

However, my latest discovery does nothing to solve the riddle of the cantankerous homeless guys, complaining about the food. Hmm.

Breakfast: 3 cups splitpea soup with ham, 2 cups coffee $0.94
Lunch: 5 cups splitpea soup with ham, tea (free from sample in mail) $1.10
Dinner: 240g dry cereal, 2 cups milk, 1 cup hot chocolate with marshmallows $1.88
Other: Multivitamin, Ca/ D $0.13

Day 12 Total: $4.05

No comments: