Monday, January 22, 2007

Day 22: Rice (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)

Ok, first I'm gonna direct you to this CBC article about geothermal energy in the USA and Canada. This is really the new wave of clean energy; nuclear is NOT a real solution (duh... the radioactive WASTE that we haven't yet learned to store for longer than 100 years!), and even grain-based fuels produce as many greenhouse gases in manufacturing as they save in eventual use. Again, of course I advocate conservation above all else - but this is a good read.

Back to Day 22....

THE GOOD
Rice is cheap (I purchased 900g for $0.99).
Brown rice is nutritious.
Rice takes less time to cook (and thus less energy) than dried beans of any type.
Rice can be eaten with chopsticks, thus making it more interesting.

THE BAD
Cooked rice cannot be stored for very long without risk of contamination (24 hours in the fridge is the suggested max).
Rice can easily get to be "blah" and bland unless you're creative with it.

THE UGLY
Cooking rice wreaks havoc on your pots and pans unless you're uber-sophisticated with a rice-cooker or what-have-you.

So today, on the 22nd day of this experiment, I finally caved in and ate the cheapest food of all; the food that sustains the majority of people in this world. Did you know that the verb "to eat" in many cultures is synonymous with "to eat rice"? (World's Healthiest Foods)

THE VERDICT

I prefer beans and bread.

Breakfast: 2 cups coffee, brown rice, veggies, tofu, lentils $1.04
Lunch: Tim's coffee (free! Thanks Paul) Brown rice, veggies, tofu, lentils $0.76
Dinner: Brown rice, veggies, tofu, lentils $0.76
Snack: Homemade chocolate-oatmeal energy bars, tea with milk $1.98
Other: Multivitamin, Ca/ D, C, glucosamine $0.21

Day 22 Total: $4.75

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flotsam,

You are crazy!!! But I love it. Glad to see my buddy is still alive and kicking, although, much like many of your other friends(I'm sure), I will be glad when you go back to eating "normally."

I do however, commend you for your efforts to try to understand how others may have to live and to appreciate what you yourself (as do we all sometimes) take for granted.

You have opened my eyes, and I promise to implement so of the ideas you have mentioned in this blog.

PA said...

Jetsam,

Thanks. One of the most interesting aspects of this experiment is that there is the potential to make permanent changes in my attitude towards food: what I value and the perspective I take on money vs. nutrition vs. taste.

I daresay my new "normal" will be somewhat altered with a greater appreciation for what is truly important. I then hope to take this lesson and apply it to other areas of "consumption" as well.

Nothing makes me happier than to know that I have made even a small difference! (We'll cook lentil soup together sometime).