Sunday, January 14, 2007

Day 13: Power 2 the PEOPLE

I am living on remnants, cast-aways, and odds 'n' ends - and it's surprising how far one can go. I am nowhere near starving at all; in fact, today I quite lost my appetite - even though I went to the gym this morning. As you will see, I did eat, but more out of rote and planning than any real desire to. I must admit that Chris' turkey perked me up, as did Alex's Poptarts.

This evening heralded the monthly phone call to the parents; now officially they think I'm crazy. First, I am training for Ironman; second, I care so much about global warming that I can't sleep at night; third, I am eating for 5 bucks a day to learn about what it means to be hungry... and do a good turn for the community. And by the way, to all of the kind folks who have donated food to me this month: my mother officially thanks you for not letting her daughter starve. Sigh...

On the way home I was accosted by an earnest-looking fellow who, after enquiring as to my language preference, thrust a small piece of paper at me and said something like, "You're invited to the party, it's student-friendly and woman-friendly" and then he ran off. Well I had to laugh, and when I looked at the paper I realized he was not talking about partying, but about activism. What was funny to me was his list of bachelor degrees, including a B.Comm. And with all those languages, he could work at the UN!
He sure didn't act like your typical University of Ottawa business graduate, so it piqued my curiosity (well, maybe he's from Carleton). And since I always sympathize with the underdog, I've posted his little paper handout up here. I even visited his website briefly. Now I admit that a bit of passion out there is a GOOD thing, and he's got his heart in the RIGHT place, and what he stands for is certainly ETHICALLY and SOCIALLY responsible, even commendable. HOWEVER, I think he uses too many CAPITAL LETTERS (which is interpreted as "screaming") to express his views, and the website is also lacking in navigability and design. Of course that is easily fixable; it is the ideas that are hard to come by. And I wish the guy the best; I also urge you to check it out, because I feel the little tug of my conscience - he is doing something proactive to improve the world: more than most of us are doing.

Breakfast: Life Multigrain remnants, Raisin Bran cereal remnants, marshmallow remnants, 2 cups milk $1.12
Lunch: Turkey, roast potatoes and salad at the Mission (free! Thx to Chris & the gang) $0.00
Dinner: 5 cups splitpea soup with ham, Ca/ D $1.13
Snack: Poptarts (free! Thanks Alex), tea with milk, 2 cups of coffee $0.46
Other: Multivitamin, Ca/ D $0.13

Day 13 Total: $2.84

No comments: