Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Day 2: "Hey I kinda like this, everyone is feeding me."

What did I learn on Day 2? Prepared hummus is NOT in the budget. To be honest, I bought this on December 31st and expected it to be my lunch - so having to cost it out now is killing my numbers. 227g of Mediterranean brand hummus costs $2.79 at Loeb and $3.49 at Loblaws this week; even using the Loeb price it cannot possibly feed me on a $5 day! I have estimated that prepared hummus costs about 4 times as much as homemade hummus - I even have the ingredients (to make: tahini, chickpeas, lemon, garlic, cumin/spices, salt & pepper in a blender, adding water to reach desired consistency). My little blender chokes so much while making this that I have been lazy and bought prepared hummus for months.

Other than that, I have been using one teabag to make two cups of tea and skimping on the milk... Earl Grey is so good. I used to use one bag per cup - again, lazy... I don't have a teapot - but now I just line up 2 cups of boiling water and steep them one after the other.

Finally, I have been worried with the idea of waste and spoiled food. Since I am costing only by food consumed, in order to get a true value I have to cost everything that I throw into the garbage as well. I have 1/2 of a stale loaf of sourdough and 1/2 a bag of borderline slimy carrots... time to get creative or else I'll be hungry tomorrow!

Breakfast: Leftover ham & potatoes from last night's dinner (free!), 2 cups coffee $0.28
Lunch: 3 pieces of pita bread, 2/3 container of hummus (Loeb), tea, apple $3.09
Dinner: Leftover ham & potatoes again (free!), 170g carrots, 1 cup OJ* $1.10
Snack: Tea with milk, Nanaimo bars (free! thanks Amanda) $0.18
Other: Multivitamin and Ca/ D $0.13

Day 2 Total: $4.78
*Tropicana 2L for $2.49 (Loblaws) this week, splurging before I have to resort to frozen cans of concentrate.

No comments: