Sunday, April 8, 2007

Green Energy & Transportation show

Ottawa's first Green Energy & Transportation (GET) show is scheduled for May 12-13th, 2007 at Lansdowne Park. Think Home Show, Auto Show, Sportsman's Show, etc. in nature, where exhibitors set up booths and visitors wander around getting info and trying products.

For $10 admission, I'm game to go and if anyone is interested in checking it out with me, drop me a line!

Also, I just heard about Bullfrog Power: Ontario's first 100% green electricity provider. Drawn through Ontario's existing grid, your dollars go to clean, renewable electricty providers.

In summary:
  • Yes, it will cost you up to 1$ more per day.
  • No, the reliability of your service will NOT be affected.
  • Yes, alternative energy sources are a LONG way from replacing fossil fuels, but also YES we are running out of said fossil fuels.
Frankly for all its drawbacks, I would still rather have my dollars go to support wind power and hydro rather than coal/oil/nuclear. At the very least, it's worth reading more about it here.

Have I switched yet? No, but I am seriously considering it for after my move. It takes about 3 months to switch, but you are free to switch between your local provider and Bullfrog at any time (Bullfrog pumps green electricity into the Ontario grid, and its electricity sales cannot exceed the amount of power it supplies).

No comments: