Thursday, April 12, 2007

10 Things

10 things I love and will miss the most when the Oil Age ends:

10. Having Sunday brunch with my friends
9. Drinking coffee
8. Cycling in Gatineau Park on a carbon racing bike
7. Going for a run on a rainy afternoon
6. Making and enjoying music, in the traditional sense
5. Blogging
4. Hot showers
3. Kissing
2. Sleeping in a soft, warm, bed
1. The knowledge, science, and marvels of our globalized, modern world

10 things I love that I can still do when the Oil Age ends:

10. Have Sunday brunch with my friends (roasted squirrel and gull eggs over a campfire, anyone?)
9. Eat local, organic foods
8. Paddle along the Ottawa River
7. Go for a run on a rainy afternoon (but without Asics dual-density midsole runners)
6. Make and enjoy music, using whatever resources I can find
5. Read & write
4. Swim in the lake
3. Kiss!
2. Sleep in a quieter, cleaner world
1. Be a contributing member of a close-knit, local community

2 comments:

Nadroj said...

by "close-knit, local community" you mean serfdom under the rule of a local feudal lord who maintains his or her control through an armed force.

since, you know, gun powder and metal alloys pre-dated oil ;)

PA said...

Not exactly. I mean a localized, self-sufficent community (growers, thinkers, builders). Of course, there must always be a leader... and human nature being what it is, there will always be "armies". I just think that with the amount of co-operation that will be needed simply to survive, there will be less motivation to harm one's fellows.