Friday, August 31, 2007

No more Tri dreams for me

Yes, that’s right: next year, no triathlons. My goal for next year is to increase my core strength and functional range to prevent future injuries to my back, neck and hips. I am presently dogged by lower back spasms, constant deep-tissue back pain, a tear in a ligament near the hip, strained hip flexors, a flare-up of my old trapezius injury, and neck issues severely limiting mobility; in short, I am a mess. And at my worst state of health so far this year, I am due to race a Half-Ironman tomorrow morning.

I am close to giving up cycling. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours on physiotherapy, massage, new bike parts, bike fittings, medical appointments, and gear. I suck royally at swimming. My running has always been slow. I am at my wit’s end.

I will have to take up Yoga or Pilates (seriously, anyone want to join me?), probably continue swimming if it doesn’t hurt, and consider getting a personal trainer. I doubt I’ve seen my last massage treatment, and I’ll soon get to be good friends with the sports doc, x-ray machine, and painkiller bottle. But for now, I have tomorrow to worry about.

My bike has been modified to help me get through the race: my aerobars have been removed. I’ve ridden with aerobars all summer and now I’m back to roadie-style, just in time for the biggest event of my season… hoping that a straighter, more upright back will ease the tension and spasms. My bars have been moved up 0.5 cm’s; my bike still has a net increase in seat-bar drop of 2.5 cm’s over last year, and riding in the aerobars all season increased the virtual drop by another 2-3 cms. My poor back/ hamstrings/ hip group just couldn’t take it… I couldn’t get high enough on the seat to ease the hip angle (due to tight hamstrings and pedalling style), or forward enough (due to huge decreases in power and stability). I couldn’t even raise my bars further up due to stability issues. So tomorrow I’ll attempt the Half, riding on the hoods 60%, tops 30%, and drops 10%.

Frankly, I’m scared. I can barely bend over now, and woke up this morning with my back in spasm. Currently taking muscle relaxants and painkillers, and totally at a loss to fix this problem. From its gradual onset, I’d expect an equally slow recovery.

I just want to finish this one, last duathlon.

No comments: