Thursday, August 23, 2007

Do you have everything you need?

... that was what the guy called out to me as he sped down Cedarview N. I had pulled off the road to tighten my seat bolt. I had time to consider briefly the politeness of that question, because it did not necessarily imply that I lacked mechanical skill, but merely that I may have been so short-sighted as to forget to pack my multi-tool. Regardless, if/ when my chain breaks en route someday, I will certainly be at the mercy of some fellow asking that same question. In that case, I will say "Do you have a chain tool?"

But in this case, no help was needed. I gave my most macho, "I don't need a Y chromosome to fix a bike"-smile, and said "Everything except a cute cyclist like you."

Ok, actually I didn't say that. I just held up my multi-tool and said "Thanks".

I may have seen the same fellow on my way back (50k and a nasty bee-sting later), because he gave a distinct wave (most guys give me a half-hearted nod) and I grinned like a madwoman and waved back. So altogether, an okay ride considering I've just started to eat real food again. Averaged just less than 27kph for 100k, took some flat gingerale on the bike and just hoped to get home by dark without puking. In that light, success. Overall, still weak and tired. Still can't believe I have to do a Half Ironman next weekend in this condition.

*sniff* Also, a splash of vinegar helps a bit for the pain of hornet stings. Just so you know.

No comments: