Saturday, February 3, 2007

Eating Cheap: A Summary of Lessons Learned

I've already given the financial results of my one-month, $5-a-day eating experiment, and now it's time to summarize the lessons I learned about food value, hunger, and self-discipline.

1. The first thing I realized is that some foods (prepared foods, most meats, and convenience items) have no place in a bare-bones budget. Even a simple medium coffee from Tim Horton's costs $1.24, which - nutritionally speaking - is a total waste of money. Multiply that by 5 and presto! ...you have Starbucks extravagance. I used to think a $4 breakfast at Subway was a deal... but all of these items must be eliminated on the $5-a-day budget.

2. On the other hand, I discovered some very nutritious and wholesome foods that are scandalously cheap: dried beans/ legumes and peas, brown rice, barley (and other dried whole grains), onions, and root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, carrots). Slightly more expensive, but certainly affordable and nutritious are the following: multigrain pasta, canned tomatoes, canned tuna, canned baked beans, wholegrain bread, peanut butter, frozen vegetables in bulk bags, oatmeal (quick and instant), juice from concentrate, and bananas. Foods that could be consumed in moderation on the $5-a-day diet are: eggs, pancakes from mix, apples purchased in bulk, milk purchased in 4L bags, cured ham, certain brands of cereal, several types of fresh greens (head lettuce on sale, or bagged spinach), and tea and coffee (packaged in bulk cannisters or boxes).

3. For the first few weeks, I experienced hunger in a new way as I struggled to meet nutritional requirements on my budget; several times, I felt the pain of hunger and the craziness that ensued. I realized what it was like to enjoy bread and water after feeling my stomach gnaw into itself all afternoon. I fought to concentrate at work when all I could think of was my empty stomach. Beans and rice became a veritable feast, and I gained a whole new appreciation for the lowly peanut butter sandwich.

4. I learned how to cook dry beans, and did so for the first time in my life. I now know what navy, pinto, mung, and Great Northern beans look like. I learned that lentils and split peas are the only dried legumes that do not need to be soaked before cooking (just rinsed), and that lentils contain 16g of protein per cup (cooked). I learned the difference between pearl, pot, and hulled barley, and cooked it for the first time in my life. I now know that barley water was traditionally used to treat digestive ills. I prepared and ate TVP (textured vegetable protein) for the first time in my life - and survived.

5. I learned that I don't "really" need to go to the grocery store every day. It won't kill me if I don't eat whatever I want, whenever I want, in the quantities I want. I don't "have" to have pita & hummus, steak & mushrooms, or chicken nachos when I could just as easily satisfy my hunger with bean stew & rice. One cup of milk will suffice, even if I would have preferred to drink a litre. A 3/4 serving of whey protein is ok for the day. I don't need dessert, junk food, or more than 2 cups of coffee in the morning - and I enjoy the coffee I make at home.

6. I learned that I eat more food than I need to. Ok, so I'm not gaining weight. I'm very active. I try to eat healthy foods. But I still eat more food - in quantity and in mass - than I need to. It won't hurt me to eat less; in fact, it felt better. I felt more energized, cleaner, and lighter. My body wasn't overloaded after a big meal; I was ready to run. I did literally run everywhere. My heart rate lowered. I probably added a day to my lifespan.

7. Finally, I learned the best lesson of all: that my friends are the greatest. And again I send my most heartfelt thanks to everyone for the food and encouragement, and for the celebratory brunch this morning at Cora's ... stay tuned, as for the rest of the month I embark on a bodybuilder's diet and continue blogging about what's green, and other goings-on in this city.

No comments: