Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pizza in my New Kitchen

I made three deep-dish vegetable pizzas today, completely from scratch. While it was my first foray into the wonderful wide world of yeast, the outcome wasn't half bad. Next time I will cook the crust for "crustiness" for a few minutes before adding the toppings, but I wouldn't change much else.

Yeah, it took over 2 hours to make all this (toppings of broccoli, peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese over a whole-wheat crust) but still delicious, and absurdly healthy. I won't do a cost analysis, but the cheese alone did cost $4.50... I'm hoping to get a total of 6 meals out of it. Plus I got to spend some quality time with my new kitchen.

I just read in the June/July Walrus an opinion about the egocentricity of self-publication; a.ka. blogging: the unedited tripe that proliferates on the web and infuses its inferior slang into the English vocabulary both on- and off-line. It was truly a lament over the degradation of culture, language and gentility.

Well I don't want to quit... even if this really is auto-therapy in its most atrocious 21st-century incarnation. However, I do feel the slightest pang of guilt at indulging in an activity that is now so commonplace as to be vulgar.

Let us Vulgarians Unite!

No comments: