Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Miserable Du makes me see Green

Here's some miscellany for you, my neglected readership:

1. Loblaw's (a regular-sized, commonplace grocer - not the Superstore location!) now sells Enviro-friendly cleaning supplies! I was shocked to enter my familiar Rideau St. haunt and see an expanded Organics section with Green cleaners and other products. Prices were higher than their traditional counterparts, but only by about 20-30% (granted, I was in a hurry and only gave a cursory glance). Hopefully I can give a better report later.

2. I completed the Ottawa Riverkeeper Duathlon (Int'l Distance) on Saturday morning, and what misery that was! I was tired before I even got to the start line, juiced-out legs and fresh from a post-marathon foot injury. I didn't expect to do well, because I couldn't afford to taper at all, but this was ridiculous.. even embarassing. Luckily the photos don't really sow how slow I was going or how terrible I was feeling! About halfway through the 2nd bike loop I realized that my only goal would be to get to the finish line alive and able to ride back home... Unfortunately some people weren't so lucky, and I saw an ambulance pick a runner up on my way back from the last run loop. Regardless, either I'm terribly unfit, horribly slow, or just had a really, REALLY bad day.

<-- "Dammit, where's the Finish Line?!"






3. I've also developed insomnia (whether or not from attempting 5am workouts I don't know) and, aside from having beer more often at night, am at a loss to remedy this. Earplugs & blindfolds help but little above the roar of the fans, the glare of the streetlights, and the incessant yelping of the occupant of the apartment above mine... who seems to be constantly breaking up with her boyfriend or screaming at her mother, after which episodes she can be heard angrily stomping across the hardwood floor. Oh the joys of tenancy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can kill the girl if you want. Rather then that, can I suggest Smoking dope you hippy!

PA said...

I've tried Gravol & beer with some success...