Monday, March 19, 2007

Pixel Death

There’s a dead pixel(s) on my new 19” LCD monitor, argh! It’s positioned halfway down on the left side, so particularly annoying for work. It resembles a rather forlorn accent aigu, stranded (in Excel) at the uppermost edge of the cell C15.

Never a dull moment here… ever been to a pixel wake? Remind them to sign organ donor cards before leaving that mysterious black hole called “PROCUREMENT”. My monitor was lost in Procurement for weeks; that probably had a negative effect on pixel lifespan, depression or claustrophobia or something. Or maybe they’re bored too, suffering brain-death, what with answering silly questions and fending off busybody emails from bosses.

Oh goodness, right on cue. 2:30 and the semi-retired guy sharing my cubicle wall is napping at his desk. Sparing his pixels. Welcome respite actually, since this morning I put up with his tirade against Caribbean cruises, streams of database design gobbledygook, and in-depth discussions about the weather (always too hot or too cold). I get the most work done when he’s playing Solitaire, because then he’s rather more quiet and focused. At least the “Easy” button toy is having a rest for now; I thought I was going to throw it out the window, especially when (get this!) he bought another one in French. Then he’d slap the English and the French immediately after. Officially bilingual, and twice as annoying.

Still grieving the pixel, hoping it’ll morph into something more interesting. Perhaps I should give it a name, now that it will be a permanent fixture in my life. Nobody say “Spot”.

No comments: